Job no: 551721
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Duty Station: Kathmandu
Categories: Knowledge Management, Research, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a future
How can you make a difference?
The incumbent will be responsible to provide regional strategic leadership on knowledge management, helping strengthen systems for generating, gathering, customizing, managing and disseminating knowledge. The incumbent will strengthen the capacity of staff to be efficient knowledge managers and users. The incumbent will be responsible for developing and implementing a framework to (i) systematically establish the RO as a centre of knowledge on children in the region which includes development of a system to store and easily retreat knowledge; (ii) continuously identify and promote opportunities for innovation that deliver results for children; (iii) identify and document promising and good practice, as well as lessons learned; and (iv) support knowledge management across all regional priorities and areas for acceleration in close collaboration with relevant colleagues.
The incumbent will be responsible for the development, oversight and maintenance of systems, tools and products that support effective knowledge management at the RO and in the COs. This will include internal and external platforms for knowledge sharing and exchange, and the continuous documentation of successes, failures, and lessons learned. These systems will complement programme implementation and monitoring, as well as periodic independent evaluations and research/studies.
More specifically, the incumbent will work closely to synthesize research, studies and evaluations in order to generate and disseminate common lessons learned, and identify, share and document promising and good practices. The incumbent will also support documentation of experiences and capture lessons learned from projects. The incumbent will work to ensure the evidence and knowledge generated is presented in user-friendly formats that are accessible to UNICEF staff, partners and the wider community. The incumbent will be responsible for regularly liaising with all sections in the RO, COs and HQ Divisions involved in evidence generation, to support the implementation of the Knowledge Management Strategy and that the products and tools used are responsive to the needs of staff and programmes within the region and aligned with global approaches.
The incumbent is also responsible to:
- Support regional programme networks to establish knowledge sharing channels, organize learning events, and identify emerging good practices, lessons learned, and knowledge gaps in each priority area and area for acceleration
- Support the sections in developing knowledge sites within the ECM Platform
- Advise management and Offices on key KM performance objectives, areas of shortfall, innovative strategies for storing and disseminating knowledge including knowledge collected in real time during emergencies
- Support preparations of briefs, synthesis, articles or other user-friendly products and promoting synergies and joined-up knowledge generation
- Lead the development, oversight and maintenance of knowledge systems and architecture that support effective knowledge sharing, including digital platforms such as ShareX, knowledge hubs, team sites, common virtual workspaces, websites and other platforms designed for both internal and external audiences
- Support Offices to document and share lessons learned from experience on an ongoing basis regularly in the region and across UNICEF
- Assist the Regional Chief of Programme and Planning in prioritizing and coordinating the overall knowledge agenda in the region
- Develops and maintains an interactive data platform on SharePoint to track data collection efforts in the region with the support of the data and ICT colleagues
- Coordinate the work and develop synergies across KM activities implemented by different KM sections in ROSA
- Draw on broader organizational learning to inform regional strategies and programmes
- Support external linkages with other organizations with common interests (universities, centres of excellence, UN agencies, and NGOs) in the region to exchange experiences in knowledge management and identify potential for partnerships, cross-fertilization, and joint learning
- Flag major risks and opportunities in his/her area of work for the attention of management
- Liaise with the ROSA communications team to ensure content linkages with UNICEF’s external facing website to enhance advocacy
- Perform any other tasks as required by the supervisor and senior management
- Provide technical assistance to COs and partners in the region in the areas of knowledge management, knowledge exchanges and learning; including enhancing a culture of learning by providing training, advice and support to Offices within the region as well as fostering country-to-country learning and knowledge exchange
Master’s degree in knowledge management related field, international development or closely related field.
- Minimum 8 years of progressively responsible professional experience in knowledge management preferably with time in humanitarian or crisis prone contexts.
- Good analytical and evidence synthesis skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills especially in communicating complex information and concepts to non-specialist audiences
- Excellent facilitation skills both face to face and online
- Experience in data visualizations and tools including Power BI an asset
- Proven ability in formulating and implementing knowledge management strategies, action plans and road maps is an asset.
- Proven ability to work with a range of stakeholders (development and humanitarian)
- Proven ability to work under tight deadlines and drive for results
- Relevant experience in both development and humanitarian settings is an asset
- Exposure to UNICEF approaches to effective knowledge management and sharing
- Strong skills relating to the development and management of knowledge platforms, portals, digital knowledge hubs, social media engagement
- Exposure to/knowledge of UNICEF or UN work (directly or as a partner) is an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications including SharePoint
Fluency in English required. Knowledge of another UN language an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Nepal Standard Time
Deadline: Nepal Standard Time