AfricaRice: Communication and Outreach Manager
Communication and Outreach Manager
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Communication and Outreach Manager who
will be based at AfricaRice Head Office in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. S/He will work under the supervision of the
Director of Strategic Business Initiatives (DSBI).
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is a leading pan-African rice research organization committed to
improving livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is a CGIAR
Research Center. It is also an intergovernmental association of 28 African member countries, with
headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
The Manager Communication and Outreach manages all aspects of communications for the Institution,
supports the Director General in all communications aspect, and oversees a team of communications
experts delivering communications for project activities. S/he will increase the reach and impact of the
profile, visibility, image, and reputation of AfricaRice through high value and influential marketing,
internal and external communications, and public relations activities, at both the African Continent and
global levels, to contribute adequately appropriately to the delivery of the Center’s mission.
Under the supervision of the DSBI, the Communication and Outreach Manager will undertake activities with
specific tasks that include, but are not limited to:
• Raising the profile and visibility of AfricaRice’s mission and impact with attention to strategic
partners, donors, and policy makers.
• Providing strategic advice on and overseeing all communications and outreach activities of
AfricaRice and the creation and strategic direction for innovative executive-level communication
materials that help to better engage audiences.
• Writing, editing, and overseeing the production of marketing material, prints and other
communication products, including the Centers annual report, media releases, promotional
materials, flagship publications, impact stories, blog articles, policy briefs, multimedia products
and e- newsletter, PowerPoint presentations and providing information to One CGIAR
systemwide communication campaigns and requests for information from AfricaRice and its
partners/stakeholders and media.
• Establishing strong links across the One CGIAR Communication and Outreach group to enable
the delivery of world class communications products and services and applying creative thinking,
best practice and innovation to identify stories, develop messaging and narratives that build the
visibility of the work of the relevant programs of AfricaRice.
• Preparing and implementing an annual communication plan in line with AfricaRice’s
communications strategy, aligned with that of One CGIAR.
• Monitoring, through KPls and monitoring systems in line with departmental norms, and using
results to refine the implementation of the annual communications plan.
• Providing support and strategic advice to research programs and projects on the effective
dissemination of research results and contributing to and strengthening fundraising proposals
and funder reports to ensure robust and creative marketing and communication considerations
• Effectively managing the outsourcing of communication activities when necessary.
• Acting as the first point of contact for the Director General with regards to AfricaRice’s external
communications and providing support as regards conference presentations.
• Carrying out other duties as required by the needs of the Center and as reviewed from time to
time by the supervisor.
• Developing and maintaining a high performing culture of marketing and communications within
• Providing support to staff and colleagues to enable delivery on the Unit’s work plan.
• Conducting meetings, performance management appraisals, and support to professional
development of the members of the Unit when necessary.
• Establishing a communications networking system with a variety of institutions and individuals across
a range of sectors (public, private, third parties, etc.)
• Keeping management fully informed on key opportunities and challenges faced by the Unit
through regular reporting.
• Developing and overseeing the implementation of an annual budget and operational work plan
for the Unit.
• Ensure the enforcement of the risk management policy of the center in the areas of responsibility
Education: Advanced degree in communications (Masters’ equivalent), international relations, social
sciences, or other relevant discipline.
Work experience and key competencies required:
• Progressive experience in a similar role supporting senior leadership or an executive office in
a multi-faceted international institution in the design and execution of marketing,
communications, and public relations activities (including digital media, and the production of
electronic and print materials and publications).
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate team activities in the implementation of strategic engagement
strategies and campaigns.
• Demonstrated ability to establish systems, tools, and processes, to facilitate effective project
management and coordination.
• Evidence of a deep understanding of the media landscape and communications stakeholders
• Proven ability to integrate, inspire and develop multidisciplinary teams and manage talent,
with the strong commitment to promote diversity, knowledge sharing, and staff development.
• Ability to effectively communicate a common vision to diverse internal and external stakeholders.
• Excellent understanding of how to use marketing tools and techniques to increase the visibility,
profile, and reputation of an organization.
• Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and ability to work collaboratively with
people at all levels in a decentralized, respectful, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary organization.
• Demonstrated ability to serve as an agent of change, to build a unified CGIAR culture and
dynamic, integrated, and agile organization.
• Upholds the highest ethical standards by inspiring trust and treating all people with respect and
• Good understanding of social media and the impact the technology is having on communications
• Experience in developing and managing budgets, hiring, training, supervising and appraising
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
• The candidate should be able to communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French and
have a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internationally recruited position.
• AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive
• The initial appointment is for three (3) years with the possibility for renewal based on performance
and availability of funding.
How to apply
1. To apply, click on the following link: http://eservices.africarice.org/application/index.php
2. Create an account if you are a new user, if not log on with your credentials to access active
3. Select “COMMUNICATION AND OUTREACH MANAGER”
4. Follow the step-by-step application procedure
Only online applications will be considered (If you encounter any technical issue on the career
site during your application, or you are prevented to proceed with your application until its
final completion: Please kindly revert to us along with the screenshot of the issue through
this email: [email protected] ). Applications are not allowed through this email.
Not later than 27 December 2022
AfricaRice promotes equal opportunities and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
We thank all candidates, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information on